Wednesday, February 24, 2010

served chilled.

Skipping the weather talk I'm so tempted to start with (it's cold, yada yada, could be colder, yada yada, hey look a bird!, yada yada) and going to straight for the good stuff. Except there's not really much to report.

Classes hypothetically start this week but really start next week, so I still haven't met anyone. Orientation starts next week, I'll probably go to a couple of events. New friends would be nice.

As of this morning I'm a registered student at the Jagiellonian University. In my ID photo I look eerily like Mum. Well, I guess it's not that eerie, given how closely related we are and all, but still. I find it odd since I never really thought we looked that much alike.

Random things found during my walks through the city:


I think this is either a public sculpture or an underground war machine... maybe both.


A sad little snowman with no eyes and only one arm.


I found this neat little teahouse and had the most spectacular pot of chai tea that I have ever had the pleasure of ingesting. It was rich and spicy and just perfect.


The teahouse was pretty neat looking too. There were fish tanks everywhere and parts of the wall were thatched and textured and just awesome.


Yesterday I went with my flatmate Magda and her friend Agnes to a couple of pubs in the city. One was underground in a space that for hundreds of years and until only recentlyish was used for food storage during the winter. It was a very nifty space, even if the pub itself wasn't particularly special.

I've found four or five op shops in the streets around my apartment, and have been having a blast digging through them for treasure. Yesterday I found a dirndl! I don't know if I want me to have it or if I'll send it home to a friend.

No comments: