Friday, July 4, 2008

maybe WE don't believe in YOU.

It's 4th of July, and I'm in Roswell. We're here for the UFO festival, though, unfortunately, the most exciting part of it is tomorrow (the alien parade!), which is the day we fly out to Montreal.
Tomorrow is also my birthday. Jason has some kind of suprise planned for the evening and has been sneaking around arranging things. I tried to guess what it was, but the only thing I could weasel out of him was that it's somewhere between roller skating and McDonalds. What does that even MEAN?

The last time I updated we were in Flagstaff trying to work out how to get to the Grand Canyon. Well, we got there, and it was amazing. We did a walk around the rim (only a tiny way, of course, that thing is huge!) but didn't go down into it at all because Jason was scared. We saw squirrels and condors and deer and a raccoon but no mountain lions.
Flagstaff was a fantastic town too, I should add. It has this laid-back, hippiy kind of vibe to it, and the bead shop there was fantastic. While we were wandering around looking for somewhere to get dinner on our last night there, we stumbled across a parade of locals who were marching to show their support for two young men who were beaten up the previous weekend during the Flagstaff mardi gras.

Our journey from Phoenix to El Paso was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. The over night bus broke down and we spent seven hours waiting for another, plus a couple of the passangers got drunk and abusive and were arrested. There's more, but I cried so much during the trip that I don't really feel like bringing up memories of it again incase I cry some more.
We've given up on the Greyhound. We're not riding it again, EVER. I won't give the full list of terrible things that have happened on the Greyhound, but let's just say there hasn't been a single bustrip without incident. We caught a TAXI from El Paso to Roswell. The driver gave us a good deal though, and the trip was so easy and relaxing.

Yesterday was our first full day here in Roswell. The UFO fest has begun, but it's mostly panels of UFOlogists and authors giving talks so far. If the buses are running today, we'll head back into town to attend a few and maybe buy one of the obnoxious souvenir t-shirts from one of the millions of tourist-oriented stores on Main St.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo!!!!!!!!! What was the surprise??!?!?!?! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY for the fifth!!! I didn't forget I was just going through my own mini-dramas at the time, but I am better now!! I hope you are also recovered from your greyhound dramas!!! I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Greyhounds are interesting arent they. We only had two breakdowns but both just meant sitting at bus statios for hours, not in the middle of nowhere. That sucks. But Flagstaff and canyon sound awesome!! And so does Montreal, and so does your face! What a lovely birthday from Jason, give him a gold star from me...love you much, hope you having fun and cant wait to see you soon! x o x o x o x o x o x o x o x o ps sorry for flooding your facebook with x's and o's :D