Tuesday, July 8, 2008

so meet us there, if you wanna change the world with us

We are in Canada! The night we arrived we stayed at the fanciest hotel I've ever stayed in. It was for my birthday, one night only. Jason had a birthday surprise for me: he took me to the Old Port area of Montreal and we walked along the docks (going through customs took 2 hours so we didn't have enough time to do much there, but just walking was lovely), then we went to a very posh Italian restaurant that Jay had chosen because it had a reputation for excellent risotto (my favourite). We got back to the hotel and found they'd left a slice of cake and chocolates for us. Whether it was because it was my birthday, or because they knew it was our honeymoon, is uncertain, but either way they were delicious and rich and nom nom nom.

On Sunday we checked out of the hotel, put our bags in lockers at the train station and wandered around Old Montreal. We went to a museum and saw a couple of exhibitions, one of how the evolution of women's clothing is linked to social change, one of modern Inuit sculpture, one of portraits of Montrealers from the last few hundred years. We also stopped for poutine and beer at Peel Pub before heading down to the Grand Bibliotheque where we met up with Maddy and Dane and Claire.
Maddy, having contacts all over the world, had managed to wangle it so we're crashing on the floor at the home of a family friend while we're in Montreal, which is very generous of the friend, and nicely budget-friendly for us.
I thought it would cooler in Canada, being so far north and all, but it is 33 today. We've fallen into the routine of sleeping most of the morning away and going out in the later afternoon when it's cooler.
Last night we went for poutine in the Latin Quarter. Today's plan is op-shopping and a picnic at Mont Royal. Tomorrow, who knows. It's weird to think in a few weeks I'll be back in Australia, wearing scarves and coats to keep out the cold. I like summer.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Gah! I'm so jealous of you all. Also, I am freezing and incredibly tired from walking ALL DAY, but it is the good tired as long as nobody goes and vomits in my face or anything. Love.

... said...

Canada is freezing cold in the winter and melting hot in the summer. During winter you pray for summer, and during summer you pray for winter. lol though that could just be me.